I’ve recently become kind of obsessed with Cajun cooking and so it’s no stretch to think that it wouldn’t be too long before I cooked up a dynamite Cajun recipe. I made this catfish just this past weekend and loved it so much that I actually postponed other recipes that were supposed to be released today for this one. You gotta try this!!!
1lb catfish filets (fresh or defrosted)
2 tsp cayenne
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp lemon pepper
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp white pepper
1/2 cup olive oil or melted butter
1-2 cup italian vinaigrette
**pre-heat oven to 350F. Place baking dish in oven while heating up.
- In a large bowl, mix all your dry herbs & spices to make your rub. Mix it up.
- Now let’s prep the fish. Cut your filet into as equal sized pieces as possible. It will be important to making sure all the pieces cook evenly.
- Take your large fry pan or cast iron skillet, put it on the stove on high. Get it REALLY hot. Don’t put anything on it. Keep it dry.
- Melt down your butter or pour your oil into a small bowl and rub down your fish with it. Butter will definitely have a more amazing flavour but the olive oil is healthier. Your choice
- Place your fish filet down into the rub, covering completely. Flip it over and repeat.
- Gently put down your spiced filet into your hot dry pan.
- Sear the catfish on both sides for approx 2 mins per side. Enough to get a good blackened crisp to either side. The more smoke in your kitchen the better!
- Once blackened, pull out the baking dish from the pre-heated oven and place the fish in it.
- Pour the italian vinaigrette over the fish.
- Bake fish for 25 mins at 350F.
- Take out and serve with a nice drizzle of the vinaigrette over top. And get ready for some serious compliments y’all!